After an injury, the first worry after health is almost always “how much is this going to cost?” Heath care and other costs are immense after an accident, and can put most victims in financial trouble. This problem is only made worse by the fact that many costs can jump out and surprise us well after we thought we were safe:
- Consistent medication and other medical supplies: While the initial medical costs of an injury: surgery, rehabilitation, medications, etc., are often very expensive, some costs continue for months or even years after the incident. Patients can often stay on medication or need supplies such as limb braces for any amount of time after the bulk of health care is finished.
- New medical conditions: After the physical injuries of the accident are treated, either hardships from the injury or even the injury itself could bring about new medical conditions later. These can range from depression and stress to infection and arthritis and anything in between.
- Transportation: Depending on the injury, there may be a change to the way a victim needs to travel. Sometimes, there is no choice but to purchase a new vehicle that is better suited for injuries. Otherwise, victims may even find themselves incapable of prolonged travel or driving on their own, which can lead to loss of employment opportunities.
- Lost wages: At first, it is easy to consider lost wages from possible surgeries or recovery time. However, this loss can continue into the future when victims have harder days. Injuries force some to take less hours in general after finding out that the original position is now too demanding.
- Loss of skills: Unfortunately, an injury can damage a skill that is crucial to a career. This comes as more of a surprise when this loss of skill comes from a new medical condition.
Of course, there are other costs besides financial ones. Injuries can cause plenty of social, mental, emotion, and other problems, and many of those can also come as a surprise. Next time, we will discuss some of these options. The most efficient way to ensure you are compensated for any hidden cost, is to call a lawyer.