The pain and stress of an automobile accident can last long after the actual event itself. Below are the top five reasons why hiring a personal injury attorney after an accident can help protect you and your rights:
1. Manage the Clock: You often hear of this on TV as “statutes of limitations.” Procrastinating after an auto accident could mean paying out of pocket money you do not owe. An attorney can advise you on this time period.
2. Minimize Risk: Regardless of who is at fault, you could be sued. You will need an attorney to build a defense or offense and reduce your risk of monetary loss as a result of the accident.
3. Know the Rules: An attorney has knowledge of the laws and can even out the playing field, especially when you’re going up against the experience and vast resources of a big insurance company.
4. Get a Plan: An attorney will obtain the necessary evidence to support your claim, including gathering police reports, witness statements, medical records and bills, as well as employment and lost wage information.
5. Find a Team: An attorney acts on your behalf and for your benefit throughout the entire claims process (negotiating with the automobile insurance company) and even in court if a lawsuit becomes necessary. They have your best interest in mind when they take you as a client.
The next time you, or someone you care about, are involved in an auto accident, give a personal injury attorney a call. Most attorneys work on a contingent-fee basis, and only get paid if there is a successful resolution to your claim, there is hardly any incentive to try to handle these types of claims on your own. While it won’t hurt you to speak with an attorney up front, it certainly might hurt you down the road, if you don’t.